Friday, December 17, 2010

November Meeting

Robyn:

Thanks to good books and good friends to share them with.

I found this book haunting and beautiful. I have to admit that I knew about Jews in France, but I
was never clear on the details. I want to go back to Paris now and see all the things I missed the
first time. I really liked the author’s method of interweaving the two storylines and the
development of the apartment on la rue de Saintonge as a critical character in the story.

As I read this book I could not help comparing it to what is happening today. People are always
looking for someone to blame for all their problems. I found this statement thought provoking -
the German soldier on the train to Paris said “Blue eyes, blond hair, like the children back home…”
which made Sarah wonder “was being Jewish something that one could immediately see?” Today
we blame Muslims and Mexican immigrants for all the problems in our country. Its easy to blame
something or someone else instead of working on solutions. I have a very good friend who
happens to be a Muslim from Bangladesh. He has a daughter who is a few years older than Jared.
When she was in junior high (the same junior high Jared now attends) she was ostracized because
of her religion. She ran for a school office and a text circulated among the student body saying
"don't vote for Sama (her name) bin laden." The principal did nothing, nor did the school board.

Another lesson from this book is the danger of indifference. I was struck by the conversation Julia
had with an old man “One day the camp was empty. I thought the Jews have gone. I didn’t know
where. I stopped thinking about it. We all have. We don’t talk about it. We don’t want to
remember. Some people here don’t even know.” And the conversation with Eduard “He had
closed his eyes.” One of my favorite quotes (not from the book) is from The Devils Disciple by
George Bernard Shaw:

“The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them,
that’s the essence of inhumanity.”

And of course there is the famous quote by Edmund Burke: “All that is necessary for the triumph
of evil is that good men do nothing.”

Good thing for people like the Defaures (spelling?), Helmuth Hübener, Sophie Scholl and many
others who in the advent of evil have the integrity to stand up for what they believe and the
courage to act.

Always remember; never forget.

Robyn

Lisa:

Sarah's Key was gripping. It is always haunting to think about what one would do if placed as any
of the characters in such a situation, whether a Jew, French police person, or just a French citizen.
I can't remember, but I don't think we've read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, which is another
take on the Holocaust that also really made me think about what just the average, ordinary
person would do- the book gave insights into how an everyday German citizen of the time may
have lived just before and during Hitler's rise to power, how bad things were for everyone. If
you're interested in reading more on the subject, it's a good book to read, also gripping. The
language is harsh (some swearing), but so is the subject and the lives of the people. Elisabeth, you
served your mission in Germany, right (or am I going crazy, I know you were in the German
choir, anyway...) you've probably talked to some people with some amazing stories and sad
memories. The only thing close I have in my expereience is the whole North/South Korea thing.
I did meet one elderly lady on my mission who fled North Korea, leaving her family behind. Which
has nothing to do with the Holocaust, but just another way in which so many people have
suffered in the hands of a corrupt government and leaders. Speaking of which, tomorrow is
election day. I have not studied the issues or candidates nearly as thoroughly as I should- but I do
have a politcal sign in my yard. "Vote YES for a countywide library system in Cache county." If it
passes I may be able to stop having to resort to my mom's library system in Salt Lake for half of
our book club picks. Sorry this is a bit rambling. Suddenly I'm much more tired than I realized, but
I wanted to write tonight.

I also am thankful for great books and great friends.

Lisa

Elisabeth:

I am really looking forward to reading Sarah's Key now. Unfortunately there are about 100 people
ahead of me on the hold list at the library. Maybe I'll break down and buy it for my birthday. I was
able to read the life histories of a couple who served in the Berlin Mission while I was there. It
was so amazing to read of his experience in the German Army and as a POW. He was able to
escape. The wife and her family had to flee East Germany as the Russian Army advanced at the
end of the war. My first Sunday in Germany I was asked to bear my testimony. I was so homesick
I began to cry, and cried for the next three hours. It didn't help that this sweet woman took me in
her arms and started to cry with me! After I read her history, I understood her empathy: she had
experienced leaving her home behind many times. Lisa, this was the couple that invited me to
sing with the German Choir.

Elisabeth

Ann:
I agree with you Robyn...in fact it really takes these stories of ordinary people to really help me
understand history. My favorite thing about traveling to new places is to see how everyday life is
different from mine, what people eat, how they get around, how they spend their time. I too
thought for a long time about whether or not I have enough strength of character to do what the
Defaures did. I want to say yes, but I guess the true test is what I do now for others and how I
stand up for what I believe in any situation.

Karen:
Hello All,

Thanks, Robyn, for getting the discussion going. "Haunting" is a great way to describe how I felt
about this book. I remember learning that Jewish people in France and Italy had been "rounded
up", but nothing really more than that. This was a heart breaking story that (maybe due to just
having had a baby and being extra emotional) brought me to tears several times. I thought the
same as Ann, how would I have responded if put in the Dufaure's situation. I like to think that I'd
have the courage to stand up for what I believe is right, no matter the consequence. I really liked
how she merged the two stories together.

For November, we'll be reading The Westing Game, chosen by Micah. If we're still going in order,
Becca should choose the book for December. Are you up for it?

Karen

Micah:

OK, I'm finally getting around to making my comments about Sarah's Key....because finally after 3
times of it being on hold at the library, I actually picked it up before they took it off hold. I'm
wondering if it's currently the "yuppy" book around town. My mom's bookclub was reviewing it
this month. And yesterday I read an article in the paper about it being one of the author's favorite
books. It was then that I clued into the fact that I'd already read it. But not to be deterred, I
decided to re-read it starting last night. I LOVED it the first time I read it and I'm sure I'll feel the
same way about it round 2. Such a sad time in history. And the kids. Wow! It kills me.

The one thing I'm not sure if I noticed the first round or not (probably did but it's been several
years since I've read it) is that the font is different when they go back and forth from modern day
to history. I like that. I'm not sure that I've read a book that does that before. Anyway, I'm
excited to be re-reading it.
Micah

December book: The WEsting Game, by Ellen Raskin
Chosen by: Micah

0 comments: